Allan represents and provides strategic advice to management in all areas of labour and employment law. His employment law practice includes executive compensation arrangements, human rights and accommodation in the workplace, employment contracts and workplace policies, workplace restructuring, plant closures, outsourcing and corporate transactions, insolvencies, employee terminations, wrongful dismissals, constructive dismissals, employment standards, occupational health and safety, health care and privacy. Allan’s labour relations practice involves advising management on union organizing, collective bargaining, and the administration and enforcement of collective agreements. He represents management before the courts, employment tribunals, the Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario, the labour board and boards of arbitration.
- Honeywell Limited v. United Association (Ontario Labour Relations Board, 2009): Upheld employer’s right to layoff employee in construction industry without regard to seniority.
- Dresden Industrial v. Sheetmetal Workers International Association, Local 473 (Labour Arbitration Decision, 2009): Employee suspended for over two years without pay due to absenteeism.
- Irving Oil in connection with a joint venture.
- InterTan in connection with sale to Bell Canada.
- Negotiated collective agreements on behalf of large hotels.