Rosen Bien Galvan & Grunfeld LLP, founded in San Francisco in 1990, focuses its practice on complex litigation. RBGG partners have been consistently recognized as some of the top trial and appellate lawyers in California and the firm was named to the first tier in Commercial Litigation, Appellate Practice and Civil Rights by Best Lawyers in America for 2015.
RBGG counsels and represents clients across the nation and handles disputes in federal and state trial and appellate courts throughout California and nationwide. Our trial, appellate, and U.S. Supreme Court practice emphasizes eight primary areas:
- Complex commercial litigation in areas including antitrust, unfair competition, contracts, legal malpractice, trade secrets, intellectual property and partnership disputes.
- Lawyer-to-lawyer assistance in matters including attorneys’ fees and partnership structures.
- Trial and appellate practice including many matters in which we are retained following trial as appellate counsel.
- White collar criminal defense and government enforcement, including criminal antitrust, securities, healthcare fraud, and criminal environmental matters.
- Constitutional and civil rights cases both for damages on behalf of individual clients and to remedy large scale systemic rights violations.
- Class actions in civil rights, employment, antitrust and consumer protection.
- Workplace disputes in cases of discrimination, harassment, wrongful termination, retirement benefits, non-competition agreements and wage and hour enforcement.
- Alternative dispute resolution (ADR) both as providers of neutral services and as advocates representing clients through ADR processes.
RBGG regularly handles high profile cases that move and shape public policy. The firm has, for example, prevailed repeatedly in major class actions against the State of California regarding constitutional rights, health care, and mental health care for prisoners in the state, including the historic prison overcrowding decision, Brown v. Plata, 131 S.Ct. 1910 (2011). Most recently, the firm’s role in bringing improved conditions to California inmates with mental illness was highlighted when the State announced major changes in its policies relating to use of force, including pepper spray and solitary confinement.
RBGG won three major class action trials in federal court in 2013 and 2014, a preliminary injunction for a publisher in a censorship case and a state court writ proceeding protecting the retirement benefits of police and fire fighters. Appellate activity was also high at RBGG in 2014. The United States Supreme Court session that ended in June featured two high-profile cases where RBGG successfully defended client wins from challenges in the nation’s high court. RBGG also represented clients in numerous appeals in the Ninth Circuit and other federal courts of appeal, as well as in the California Supreme Court and intermediate courts of appeal.
RBGG also stands out for the quality of its associates. They have substantial litigation experience and all graduated from top law schools — eight clerked for federal judges and seven were named “Rising Stars” in the 2014 Northern California Super Lawyer list.
Our cases involve the most complex and sophisticated of issues. Each of us strives to be a client-centered lawyer, emphasizing personal service and responsiveness to a client’s overall business or personal interests. We make sure every client understands the risks, benefits, options and costs of litigation. In every case, our goal is to assure that the client’s interest is always foremost and protected.