Pillsbury is a full-service law firm with an industry focus on energy & natural resources, financial services including financial institutions, real estate & construction, and technology. Based in the world's major financial, technology and energy centers, Pillsbury counsels clients on global business, regulatory and litigation matters. We work in multidisciplinary teams that allow us to understand our clients’ objectives, anticipate trends and bring a 360-degree perspective to complex business and legal issues—helping clients to take greater advantage of new opportunities, meet and exceed their objectives, and better mitigate risk. This collaborative work style helps produce the results our clients seek.
What Sets Us Apart
The vision to see opportunities where others may see only obstacles. Passion for our work and an unshakable dedication to your interests and needs. Lawyers who are authorities in their fields working in collaborative teams known for exceptional performance. Shared conviction that open, straightforward communication is essential to earning your trust. An ethical foundation based upon helping our clients, our employees and our communities.
The needs of Pillsbury’s clients are often international in scope. To meet those needs, Pillsbury’s U.S. and international offices form a fully integrated network that advises clients doing business around the globe. As a result, nearly one-third of our work touches overseas.
Pillsbury’s firm-wide practices can be broadly grouped into three categories:
- Business. From entity formation to project and commodities finance, alternative investments to outsourcing agreements, Pillsbury’s business practices advise emerging, middle-market, institutional and multinational clients on all types of corporate, securities, finance and intellectual property transactions.
- Litigation. The litigation experience of the more than 200 lawyers in our global network encompasses a diverse array of fields, industries and legal arenas. Pillsbury litigators have substantial trial experience at the state, federal and appellate level, with the bankruptcy courts, and with dispute resolution proceedings before all of the world’s major arbitration bodies.
- Regulatory. Pillsbury offers a wide range of counseling related to compliance, regulatory hearings and investigations, and public policy. Our lawyers have previously worked in public service at 20 different regulatory agencies, including the DOJ, EPA, FAA and IRS. We have substantial experience handling trade matters under WTO and NAFTA, advising on export and technology transfer controls, and representing clients in trade remedy proceedings.
Whether in the incorporation of Standard Oil (now Chevron) in 1900, the formation of Intel in 1968, or the registration of the first trademark for a dotcom in 1994, Pillsbury has been there from the beginning for many of the world’s most storied and vibrant industries. And we’re still there today. Pillsbury makes a significant and sustained investment in monitoring—and helping shape—the industries in which our clients compete, from energy and financial services to real estate and technology. We not only attend the same industry events as our clients, but are often the presenters and keynote speakers. As a result, we commence every client matter already well informed of the industry trends that influence strategy and planning. Our efforts are guided by the nature of our clients’ industries:
- Industry-Adept. Pillsbury clients operate in today’s most dynamic industries. To serve them better, we structure our practices to address the spectrum of business and legal issues they face. For example, the complexity of the global energy industry led us to build an Energy team that covers the world’s most important energy and finance capitals, and is backed by an extensive network of host-country law firm relationships—including Canada and Mexico. In addition, our Abu Dhabi office provides support for clients operating in the Middle East.
- Standards-Setting. From financial fiduciaries to social media startups, organizations need to stay abreast of evolving industry standards. Our practice teams include lawyers who help make those standards, sitting on the working groups and standards bodies that define industry rules.
- Regulation-Savvy. In tightly regulated industries like aviation, energy, health care and communications, our clients benefit from working with lawyers who have formerly served in government oversight positions. Across the firm, more than 75 Pillsbury lawyers have held top positions at government and regulatory agencies.